Tuesday, May 10, 2011

Weekly sketchbook assignment.







Our middle school spent the beginning of the semester making sketchbooks for our warm-ups. I struggled with resistance from students with written daily warm-ups last semester. So this semester I decided to experiment with weekly sketchbook assignments.  I researched assignments on the internet and found an elaborate site with almost 70 assignments including examples and a powerpoint.

The following are my weekly assignments. They are examples from my 8th graders. The requirements include the student writes the title, date fills the page, adds color or shading when appropriate. They are graded weekly 10 points each. They have been very successful and some of the work has been really beautiful. others have been valuable lessons in shading, lines as so on.


Our first assignment was called "Expressive Lines"
Adrian's looks like a stained glass window
Lots of bright colors and flower designs
Everyone has their own style
More Expressive lines

Week 2 we did "Directional Lines", I love Lein's design.



The last of the Directional lines

Week 3, 2 and 3-d Arrows




Week 4: Echoing Lines

Mary did pages but liked them without color.

Week 5: Typography Tester




Week 6: Pencil Shading. We draw large shapes and shaded them in to show light and darks.




Week 7: Blind Contour with Color. We had practiced blind contours in class so we knew the concept. 









Week 8: Bottle Landscapes







Week 9: Full  of Contours Page. We went into the cafeteria for our models.
































1 comment:

  1. I love your sketchbook assignments. I especially like the going into the lunchroom for your subjects. That is so clever. I love the way your explain your projects. Looks like fun!

    ReplyDelete