Sunday, May 22, 2011

Under the Sea

My third graders had a great time with this project. We finished the entire piece in forty five minutes and even had time to create a graph on the board to tally which undersea creatures were drawn on the most papers.

We started out by imagining we were snorkeling in a great barrier reef. The students raised their hands and told me what they imagined they might see under the water.  I drew what they told me on my paper on the board, then let them go to town drawing their own undersea world, including any imaginary beings, like mermaids and underwater castles. They drew in black crayon on 12 x 18 paper.





Meanwhile I put out watercolor palettes, water cups and paintbrushes. Here are some of their finished pieces.  Magnificent!
Covering the paper with color completely changes the look.


A giant squid and underwater lightning!




I love the drips.



Thus student spent alot of time on his Titanic ship. I had to speed him along.

No comments:

Post a Comment