Saturday, May 28, 2011

6th grade loom weaving

I really wanted to get my students weaving. Although I had limited supply of looms I decided to go ahead and have my sixth graders weave. I split my two classes and had the one try the paper plate weaving and the B-day class did the loom weaving with 9x13 inch cardboard looms. We learned vocabulary and used yarn to create the weft or vertical strips through which you actually do the weaving.
Luckily my sister works in a  quilting store so I had a bunch of colorful material strips on hand and decided to use fabric rather than yarn for the weaving to make the process go faster and also to give the weaving some visual interest. The fabric was used for the warp.

Here are some of the results. I let some students add beads in if they wanted to.
The bulletin board

Everyone had different color choices which created nice effects

This student found gold ribbon in a fabric bag and added beads.


Super job by Ezekiel J.






Some students had more difficulty with the actual concept of weaving but the end product looked freeform and beautiful.


Erick went with a Carribbean blue theme.

Ezekiel D. was a natural at this process.

No comments:

Post a Comment