Tuesday, May 10, 2011

Modeling clay

I love using modeling clay. When I was little we used to make our own clay at home with flour and water and oil and would play with it for hours. Many young students have little experience with art, let alone clay. I try not to worry too much about "product" with my young artists and let them simply enjoy the art process. Modeling clay (or any other kind of clay) is perfect for this experience.
I also like to use clay as a substitute teacher activity for my elementary classes (or for very well behaved middle schoolers).  I choose a book to be read aloud and pull a theme that can be used to model - perhaps a book about baking and they can make pretend cakes, or a book about spring and they can make bugs or flowers, etc.

Another great use for modeling clay is to allow young Kinders to work with letters in a tactile manner. I will have them roll out the clay and have them spell out their names. They  LOVE this activity!

When the time is over the clay gets rolled into a ball and placed back into my bucket.

No comments:

Post a Comment